November 11, 2022 10:51
Korea's injured star player Son Heung-min on Wednesday said he is determined to participate in the upcoming World Cup, which is just about a week away.
On Instagram the national football team captain expressed his strong desire to play, saying he would even wear a protective mask if there is a slim chance that he will recover from surgery in time for the quadrennial football event.
Son, who underwent surgery for fractures around his left eye last week, wrote, "I just wanted to take a moment to say thank you all for the messages of support I have received over the last week," he wrote. "I have read so many of them and truly, truly appreciate you all. In a tough time I received a lot of strength from you!"
"Playing for your country at the World Cup is the dream of so many children growing up, just as it was one of mine too. I won't miss this for the world. I can't wait to represent our beautiful country," he added.
Manager Paulo Bento on Thursday said he would include his much-needed ace in Korea's World Cup roster anyway and monitor whether his condition is good enough to play.
However, whether Son will eventually be able to play will depend on how quickly he can recover and return to pre-surgery levels. Bento and his coaching staff will need to come up with tactics and formations to use him effectively.
One sports commentator said, "Son can be brought on part-way through each of Korea's first three group-stage matches, and may start the last match against Portugal."
- Copyright © Chosunilbo & Chosun.com