South Korea and the U.S. will stage massive joint air drills from Oct. 31 to Nov. 4 with about 240 fighter jets flying over the Korean Peninsula.
It is the first time the two countries have mobilized such a large fleet for joint aerial drills since December 2017 and sends a warning to North Korea, which is widely expected to conduct another nuclear test before U.S. midterm elections in November.
"The drills aim to test combined wartime air operations of the Korean and U.S. air forces and improve their combat readiness and capabilities," South Korea's Air Force said.
Some 140 South Korean fighter jets, including F-35As, F-15Ks and KF-16s, and about 100 U.S. fighters, including F-35Bs and F-16s are taking part.
The last time the two countries staged the drills was in response to North Korea's last nuclear test in September 2017.
They were suspended by then U.S. President Donald Trump amid denuclearization talks between Washington and Pyongyang.
- Yoon Visits Nuclear Bunker in Drills with U.S.
- Massive Military Drills Include Combating Fake News
- U.S. Space Command to Take Part in Joint Drills with S.Korea
- Korean and U.S. Navy SEALs Train Together
- S.Korea, U.S. Discuss Next Year's Submarine Drills
- S.Korea, U.S. Start 1st Large-Scale Aerial Drills in 5 Years
- S.Korea, U.S. Kick off Massive Maritime Exercises in West Sea
- S.Korea Nudges U.S. to Share Tactical Nukes
- U.S. Nuclear Aircraft Carrier Forced Back by N.Korean Missile Launches
- S.Korea, U.S. Start Massive Naval Exercise
- Korean General Commands Joint Drills with U.S.
- S.Korea, U.S. Resume Massive Military Drills
- S.Korea, U.S. to Stage Massive Drill Amid Global Instability
- USFK Conducts 1st Live-Fire Drill in 3 Years
- U.S. Fighter Jets Arrive for Joint Exercises
- S.Korean, U.S. Fighter Planes Stage Show of Force Against N.Korea
- S.Korea, U.S. Fire Missiles After N.Korean Launches
- USFK Launches New Apache Helicopter Squadron
- USFK Practice Seizing Underground Nuclear Facility
- S.Korea-U.S. War Simulation Exercises Kick off
- Top Korean, U.S. Brass Board American Aircraft Carrier
- Nuclear-Powered U.S. Aircraft Carrier to Join Drills with S.Korea
- S.Korea, U.S. Stage Drills in Warning to N.Korea
- S.Korea, U.S. Could Resume Massive Bomber Drills
- Copyright © Chosunilbo & Chosun.com