October 28, 2020 10:56
An autopsy by the National Forensic Service of a teenager in Incheon who died two days after his vaccination on Oct. 16 has revealed that he died of nitrite poisoning unrelated to the flu jab.
"High levels of nitrite were found in his stomach," a police spokesman said Tuesday. "We confirmed that he ordered the chemical online before he died."
Police have left open the possibility that he killed himself or mistook the poison for salt or sugar. A small amount of nitrite is used to maintain the blood-red color of processed meat products such as ham and sausages, but an overdose can be lethal.
Meanwhile, a batch of flu vaccines tainted with floating white particles will be destroyed, the Ministry of Food and Drug Safety said the same day.
The Korea Disease Control and Prevention Agency earlier said that animal testing revealed no problem with their efficacy and safety, and the white particles were clumps of protein powder.
By Monday 59 people had died after their vaccinations.
- Copyright © Chosunilbo & Chosun.com