U.S. Ambassador Released from Hospital

      March 11, 2015 09:40

      U.S. Ambassador Mark Lippert was released from Severance Hospital on Tuesday, five days after he was attacked by an assailant with a knife in downtown Seoul.

      "I feel pretty darn good all things considered," Lippert told reporters. "I want to express my profound gratitude to those Koreans and Americans alike who so bravely, gratefully and selflessly responded to the scene of the attack and the medical team that delivered a world-class treatment."

      He still sported a bandage on his cheek and a cast on his left hand but walked briskly.

      U.S. Ambassador Mark Lippert waves as he leaves Severance Hospital in Seoul on Tuesday.

      Lippert said that he and his wife have been deeply moved by the "outpouring of support from Koreans of all walks of life."

      "The bottom line is this incident has only strengthened our love and affection for this country and our belief in the unbreakable bond that exists" between the U.S. and Korea, Lippert said. 

      He cited two Korean expressions -- "Let's go together," the same expression he tweeted shortly after the incident, and "The land hardens after the rain," which roughly means, "The quarrel of lovers is the renewal of love."

      The envoy declined to discuss the security situation at the time of the attack and refrained from commenting on the attack itself, saying he needed to talk to law enforcement officials first. But he said he feels "very safe" in Seoul and other parts of the country.

      Lippert thanked U.S. President Barack Obama, who telephoned him following the attack, and President Park Geun-hye, who visited him in hospital. He also voiced his gratitude to other political leaders who visited him in hospital.

      Doctors at Severance Hospital said Lippert's stitches have been removed and the cast will be off in about a month.

      • Copyright © Chosunilbo & Chosun.com
      Previous Next
      All Headlines Back to Top