Korean Expats to Get ID Cards

      July 10, 2013 13:00

      Koreans with foreign residency permits will be able to apply for ID cards here starting next year if they also live in Korea.

      The Ministry of Security and Public Administration on Tuesday said it is working with the Justice and Foreign ministries to revise relevant laws so that Korean expats can hold a national residence registration card here.

      The current law requires Korean expats to relinquish their permanent residency overseas if they want to apply for a residence registration card in Korea. Those without a residence registration card are restricted in conducting financial transactions and constantly need to update their addresses.

      Around 701,000 Koreans with foreign residency permits live here at least some of the time, 35,000 of them with U.S. Green Cards, followed by those with residency permits from Japan (11,500) and Canada (11,400).

      • Copyright © Chosunilbo & Chosun.com
      Previous Next
      All Headlines Back to Top