80% Believe N.Korea Sank the Cheonan

      March 24, 2011 12:24

      Eight out of 10 South Koreans believe North Korea sank the Navy corvette Cheonan in March last year, according to a survey marking the first anniversary of the sinking.

      The Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism commissioned Hankook Research to conduct the survey of 1,000 people. In a similar poll in September last year, only 72.6 percent of South Koreans believed North Korea was behind the sinking.

      Some 65 percent feel that North Korea must apologize for attacking the Cheonan if it wants to resume the stalled six-party talks or inter-Korean dialogue, almost twice the 32.8 percent who said cross-border talks can resume without an apology.

      When asked how they feel about the overall security situation, 52 percent said "uneasy," while 70.3 percent said the South Korean government and military did not respond properly when North Korea sank the ship.

      • Copyright © Chosunilbo & Chosun.com
      Previous Next
      All Headlines Back to Top