August 24, 2021 13:13
Korean national football team manager Paulo Bento on Monday announced a 26-man roster for the first two matches of the final round of Asian qualifiers for the 2022 FIFA World Cup in Qatar.
It included key strikers like Son Heung-min of Tottenham Hotspur, Hwang Ui-jo of FC Girondins de Bordeaux and Na Sang-ho of FC Seoul.
Asked why he did not select Lee Kang-in of Valencia CF and Won Du-jae of Ulsan Hyundai, who played at the Tokyo Olympics, Bento said it was "a technical and tactical decision."
There were also questions about Son's condition. In a match against Wolverhampton Wanderers last week, Son was replaced by Harry Kane after playing for 72 minutes. He played with his left thigh taped and walked carefully when he left the pitch.
But Bento said, "The first game he played [last week], he played 90 minutes. Yesterday, he played 72 minutes. In my opinion, he's OK and I have no information about any injury."
Korea faces Iraq in Seoul on Sept. 2 and then Lebanon in Suwon, Gyeonggi Province on Sept. 7.
- Copyright © Chosunilbo & Chosun.com