Pro Baseball Players Under Fire for Quarantine Violations

  • By Jung Byung-sun

    July 15, 2021 12:52

    Professional baseball players are under fire for causing the abrupt suspension of the season by violating quarantine rules.

    The Korea Baseball Organization in an emergency meeting on Monday decided to cancel all remaining games this summer after it was revealed that NC Dinos players held a drinking party with two women in a hotel last week and spread coronavirus to the Doosan Bears in a series of games.

    Three NC Dinos players tested positive after staying in a hotel in Gangnam between July 5 and 7. Another infection was found among the Doosan Bears, who played against the Dinos on July 6 and 7. So far, 28 Dinos and 33 Bears players are in quarantine.

    The home stadium of the NC Dinos in Changwon, South Gyeongsang Province is empty on Wednesday. /Yonhap

    Dinos infielder Park Sok-min apologized Wednesday and admitted to drinking with three teammates in his hotel room with the two women who later tested positive. The KBO said it will look into punishing them.

    Another Dinos infielder, Park Min-woo, who was at the party, also apologized and decided to take himself off the Tokyo Olympics team.

    The Gangnam district office has reported the infected players to the police for violating lockdown rules that ban more than two people from gathering after 6 p.m. The Korea Disease Control and Prevention Agency will also investigate the violations.

    Fans, meanwhile, criticized Park Sok-min's apology, which they claimed sounded dishonest by omitting salient details.

    The KBO, however, said it still wants an All-Star Game on July 24 to go ahead. "The two-week self-quarantine period of affected players ends on July 21 and fans voted for their favorite players in the game, so we want to live up to their expectations," a spokesman said.

    • Copyright © Chosunilbo & Chosun.com
    Previous Next
    All Headlines Back to Top