July 13, 2021 11:18
A recent surge of coronavirus infections has halted the professional baseball season.
The Korea Baseball Organization in an emergency meeting on Monday decided to suspend the ongoing season after some of the league's 10 clubs were hit by the surge.
The NC Dinos reported three cases of new infections among their players, while 15 players and 10 coaching staff members have been placed under self-quarantine. The Doosan Bears said two of their players were infected, while 17 players and 14 coaching staff members are self-isolating.
The KBO decided that the two teams are unable to compete under the circumstances.
Another factor is the tougher lockdown that kicked in on Monday due to the surge, allowing no spectators at sports events. Over 1,000 new infections have been reported daily over the last week.
The remaining 30 games of the first half of the season scheduled to be held between Tuesday and Sunday will be postponed until Aug. 10 when the league resumes after the Summer Olympics in Tokyo, which will run from July 23 to Aug. 8.
The KBO said in the future it will postpone games for two weeks if more than 50 percent of players on any club's roster test positive for COVID-19 or have to be quarantined.
- Copyright © Chosunilbo & Chosun.com