March 25, 2021 13:05
North Korea fired two unidentified projectiles into the East Sea on Thursday morning, the Joint Chiefs of Staff here said. They were launched from South Hamgyong Province around 7 a.m.
Further details are not immediately available, but they are presumed to be short-range ballistic missiles, which are banned under UN sanctions.
The JCS was quick this time to confirm the launches amid criticism after it waited for several days for the North's firing of two cruise missiles last week.
A senior U.S. official also told CNN, "The U.S. military and intelligence community is still analyzing data from the test launch to determine what kind of missile was fired and how far it went."
Tokyo was the first to announce the launch. Japanese Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga told NHK, "Japan firmly protests against the launches, which are a violation of UN Security Council resolutions."
- Copyright © Chosunilbo & Chosun.com