November 20, 2020 12:46
This year's nationwide university entrance exam will be held on Dec. 3 as scheduled.
A recent surge in coronavirus infections had fueled anxiety among senior high school students ahead of the exam, but Education Minister Yoo Eun-hae said Thursday, "There are only two weeks left until the exam and it can't just be postponed."
"Coronavirus infections are expected to increase, but the government is thoroughly preparing for the spread and ensuring the exam can take place as planned on Dec. 3."
Yoo said that even if the number of infections increases, another postponement of the exam taken by 490,000 students is out of the question.
The government had already moved back the exam, which was originally scheduled for Nov. 19.
On Friday morning, Korea reported 363 new cases, surpassing 300 for three days running. The government has officially declared this a "third wave" of the epidemic even as cases remain far below the thousands a day seen in Europe or the U.S.
- Copyright © Chosunilbo & Chosun.com