U.S. Promises 'Robust' Defense of S.Korea

  • By Cho Yi-jun

    June 16, 2020 12:48

    The Pentagon has promised a "robust" defense of South Korea to warn North Korea over recent threats against the South.

    "We remain committed to maintaining a robust combined defensive posture," Pentagon spokesperson John Supple said on Sunday.

    The Pentagon had kept mum until then over escalating threats from North Korea, including the cut-off of all communication lines with South Korea and unspecified military action.

    In answer to a question from the Chosun Ilbo, a spokesperson for the U.S. State Department expressed "disappointment" at North Korea's recent statements. The spokesperson added that the U.S.' commitment to South Korea's defense remains ironclad, urging the North to avoid provocations and return to diplomacy and cooperation.

    Meanwhile, there is speculation that the North has built eight or more nuclear weapons since the first U.S.-North Korea summit in Singapore in June 2018.

    "What we've seen since then from leaked intelligence assessments and commercial satellite imagery is that they've expanded and improved production facilities for fissile material, missile production, mobile re-entry vehicles and launch vehicles," said Bruce Klingner of the conservative Heritage Foundation on NBC. "And they've probably built eight or more additional nuclear weapons."

    • Copyright © Chosunilbo & Chosun.com
    Previous Next
    All Headlines Back to Top