3 More Coronavirus Infections Reported over Weekend

  • By Kim Jin-myung

    February 10, 2020 10:32

    Korea reported three more cases of new coronavirus infection on Sunday.

    According to the Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, they include a 73-year-old woman from Siheung south of Seoul who has never been to China, and her son (51) and Chinese daughter-in-law (37) who had visited China's Guangdong Province over the last three months.

    It was the first infection reported in Korea from a person who had been to a part of China other than Hubei Province, the epicenter of the epidemic.

    The latest confirmed infections spread jitters in Siheung, prompting 465 childcare facilities in the city to close down temporarily.

    Seoul's shopping district of Myeong-dong is deserted on Saturday. /Yonhap

    But the government has not expanded its entry ban beyond travelers from Hubei Province.

    Prime Minister Chung Sye-kyun said in a meeting with officials on Sunday that the government will consider banning visitors from "other at-risk areas in China." However, Health Minister Park Neung-hoo told reporters in a briefing later on Sunday, "We decided to maintain the current restrictions until the situation changes further" because the number of visitors from China is declining anyway. Chung vowed to strengthen the screening of incoming visitors but announced no specific measures.

    China's Spring Festival ended on Sunday, and many Chinese people are expected to return to work here, raising fears of the epidemic spreading further.

    KCDC chief Jung Eun-kyeong said, "We will keep an eye over the next two weeks on visitors arriving from parts of China outside Wuhan and focus on quarantine measures."

    • Copyright © Chosunilbo & Chosun.com
    Previous Next
    All Headlines Back to Top