Ex-USFK Chief Calls for Resuming Joint Drills

  • By Cho Yi-jun

    November 27, 2019 09:58

    A former chief of the U.S. Forces Korea has urged a resumption of joint South Korea-U.S. military drills, citing North Korea's live-fire artillery drill on the west coast last week in violation of an inter-Korean military agreement signed in September 2018.

    Vincent Brooks told VOA on Monday, "This is a great reason to resume bilateral exercises."

    "Given that this is the first recognized violation of the [inter-Korean pact], it is a disappointment," he added. "On one hand it could be a signal that they no longer respect the [pact]. It is just the first of many more violations to come."

    He said, "The U.S. and South Korea tried to make space by not conducting the exercises, [but] North Korea has responded with an air demonstration on the East Coast in Wonsan and now with this. And as result, I wish we no longer consider adjustments to exercises since it is clear that North Korea is not concerned about that."

    "So this is a good reason to confirm an exercise in February or March timeframe in direct response to this," he added.

    • Copyright © Chosunilbo & Chosun.com
    Previous Next
    All Headlines Back to Top