UN Condemns N.Korean Submarine Missile Launch

  • By Kim Myong-song

    October 04, 2019 12:48

    The UN says North Korea's latest launch of a ballistic missile from a submarine was a "violation of Security Council resolutions."

    UN spokesperson Stéphane Dujarric told reporters in New York on Wednesday that North Korea's missile launch was "very concerning."

    The UNSC in a unanimous resolution in July 2009 banned North Korea from launching any projectile using ballistic-missile technology after Pyongyang fired long-range missiles and conducted its second nuclear test.

    The Foreign Ministry of Germany, which currently chairs the UNSC, in a statement accused the North of "heightening tensions" and "contradicting North Korea's announcement seeking dialogue with the U.S."

    This combination photo shows North Korea's submarine-launched missiles -- Pukguksong-1 fired in August 2016 (left), Pukguksong-2 in February 2017 (center) and Pukguksong-3 on Wednesday. /Yonhap

    Meanwhile, North Korean leader Kim Jong-un was absent from the launch. The official Rodong Sinmun daily Thursday said Kim "sent a warm and fervent message of congratulation to the state researchers." It is rare for Kim to miss an event the North has touted as being "one of the historically significant events."

    The daily said the test of the Pukguksong-3, a new type of submarine-launched ballistic missile, was successful.

    Kim had been present at all 10 of the North's missile and artillery tests since May of last year.

    • Copyright © Chosunilbo & Chosun.com
    Previous Next
    All Headlines Back to Top