July 03, 2019 11:02
Samsung's mobile chief Koh Dong-jin has taken blame for the debacle surrounding review models of a potentially revolutionary foldable smartphone.
"It was embarrassing. I pushed it through before it was ready," Koh told European media last week. "I do admit I missed something on the foldable phone, but we are in the process of recovery."
Samsung trumpeted the Galaxy Fold as a revolution in smartphone technology and hoped it would help it stay at the top of the global market. But review models sent out to tech journalists proved less than impressive, and several screens broke down completely or warped because of embedded pieces of grit.
"At the moment, more than 2,000 devices are being tested right now in all aspects. We defined all the issues. Some issues we didn't even think about, but thanks to our reviewers, mass volume testing is ongoing," Koh said.
But he was unable to name an exact date, saying only, "In due course. Give us a bit more time."
Samsung rival Huawei has also delayed the launch of its Mate X foldable phone to avoid the same mistakes.
- Copyright © Chosunilbo & Chosun.com