November 09, 2018 09:39
It was North Korea that canceled high-level talks with the U.S. scheduled for Thursday in New York, according to South Korean Foreign Minister Kang Kyung-wha.
Kang told the National Assembly's Foreign Affairs and Unification Committee on Thursday that she heard from Washington that Pyongyang canceled the talks between U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and North Korean leader Kim Jong-un due to the two sides' "busy schedules."
Kang denied that the cancellation will also lead to the postponement of a second U.S.-North Korea summit being eyed for early next year.
Announcing the cancellation, Pompeo said the talks will be held later, she said. "They are rescheduling the talks. Don't place too much significance on the postponement." "We'll also try to urge [the North] to resume talks through the inter-Korean channel," she added.
Vice Foreign Minister Cho Hyun said there will be no great change on talks with North Korea in the wake of U.S. midterm elections.
Minjoo Party lawmaker Lee Seok-hyun said, "Now there is an inter-Korean liaison office, isn't it possible to talk to North Korean officials anytime? Can't you ask them why they delayed the talks?"
"I don't know anything about it yet," Unification Minister Cho Myoung-gyon replied. "We'll check if it's possible."
Pyongyang has so far kept silent about the cancellation. "The North was silent when the U.S. announced the talks on Nov. 5," a government official here said. "So I don't think they'll talk about the postponement either."
- Copyright © Chosunilbo & Chosun.com