Memorial Service Brings Closure for Ferry Victims' Families

  • By Kwon Sang-eun

    November 21, 2017 13:18

    The last memorial service for victims of the 2014 ferry disaster was held in Ansan, Gyeonggi Province on Monday, bringing the closure of the disaster which claimed 304 victims.

    The service officially ends their quest for the remains after the families of five victims who remain missing last week said they have given up hope.

    The funeral of a victim of the 2014 ferry disaster takes place at Danwon High School in Ansan, Gyeonggi Province on Monday. /Yonhap

    But a special committee probing the disaster has decided to stand the wreck upright by May next year to conduct a further search and investigation. They said this is needed because some spaces remain inaccessible and it is too dangerous for investigators to go deep into the recumbent hull.

    Their main aim is to establish the cause of the disaster once and for all.

    The committee estimates the operation will cost at least W6.8 billion and plans to submit its final report by May 6 (US$1=W1,100).

    • Copyright © Chosunilbo & Chosun.com
    Previous Next
    All Headlines Back to Top