Staph Found in McDonald's Burger

  • By Choi Jong-seok

    August 11, 2017 12:25

    A burger at McDonald's has been found contaminated with Staphylococcus aureus, which causes food poisoning, the Korean Consumer Agency warned Thursday.

    The bacteria were found only in a single burger at one McDonald's branch, out of 38 tested at fast food chains and convenience stores, while all others were fine. None contained E-coli.

    The consumer watchdog tested burgers at six fast food chains -- Burger King, KFC, Lotteria, McDonald's, Mom's Touch, and Popeyes -- and five convenience stores -- 7-Eleven, CU, GS25, Ministop and With Me.

    The level of staph bacteria in the McDonald's bulgogi burger was three times higher than permissible.

    The inspection was carried out on a tipoff that a child fell victim to E-coli after eating a burger in McDonald's branch.

    The KCA examined four burgers each from the six franchises. At McDonald's it checked two Big Macs and Bulgogi burgers from two separate outlets.

    The result was supposed to be made public on Tuesday, but McDonald's filed for an injunction banning the release. A court rejected the filing on Thursday.

    • Copyright © Chosunilbo & Chosun.com
    Previous Next
    All Headlines Back to Top