N.Korea Ignores Proposal of Military Talks

  • By Lee Yong-soo, Kim Myong-song

    July 21, 2017 10:35

    North Korea has simply ignored South Korea's offer to hold military talks on Friday. The government here said on Thursday that it has not yet received any answer from the North but will keep waiting for it.

    Asked how long, a Unification Ministry official said, "There is no deadline in our intention to resolve problems through dialogue. Once we agree to hold talks, we can always adjust the timing."

    Seoul is preparing for a belated response from Pyongyang, which has often been surprisingly coy for such a militant nation and likes to keep its suitors on tenterhooks.

    A government official said, "The offer to hold talks on Friday was made because July 27 marks the 64th anniversary of the armistice" that ended fighting in the 1950-53 Korean War, "so there would be no problem if the talks can be held before July 27."

    A North Korean soldier stands guard in the border truce village of Panmunjom on Wednesday. /Yonap

    Speaking in Berlin earlier this month, President Moon Jae-in laid out an action plan he described as a "bold journey" for the two Koreas. Based on the Sunshine Policy of rapprochement pursued by the Kim Dae-jung and Roh Moo-hyun administrations, it includes the resumption of inter-Korean dialogue and the immediate and complete suspension of all hostile activities along the heavily armed border.

    Some pundits said North Korea has no interest in Moon’s overtures, while others said Pyongyang may be using delay tactics to exact more concessions from Seoul when negotiations do take place.

    • Copyright © Chosunilbo & Chosun.com
    Previous Next
    All Headlines Back to Top