Workers Start Combing Ferry Wreck

  • By Yoon Ju-heon

    April 19, 2017 12:40

    Workers began searching the salvaged wreck of the ferry Sewol on Tuesday after it had been safely brought to dry land last week.

    The Ministry of Oceans and Fisheries said nine eight-man teams will be searching the ferry and aim to complete the work within three months.

    The ferry sank in April 2014 with over 300 people, mostly high-school students, aboard. Nine passengers remain officially missing.

    Korea Salvage has drilled several square entry points into the ship and is cutting out more.

    The interior of the ferry Sewol is heavily rusted in this picture released by the Ministry of Oceans and Fisheries on Tuesday. /Newsis

    The ministry published 12 photos of the passenger cabins, which are barely recognizable after the years at the bottom of the sea. Rust is everywhere, and steel beams are spotted jutting out.

    Ministry spokesman Lee Cheol-jo said, "The hull has been damaged heavily so we have to conduct our search cautiously."

    • Copyright © Chosunilbo & Chosun.com
    Previous Next
    All Headlines Back to Top