March 17, 2017 10:13
The Seoul Central District Prosecutors' Office has no plans to raid Cheong Wa Dae or ex-President Park Geun-hye's home in Samseong-dong, Seoul, a spokesman said Thursday.
"A raid would have been needed to gather evidence in the initial stage of the investigation," a prosecutor said. "But now that the investigation is nearly complete it no longer makes much sense."
That suggests prosecutors already have enough evidence to bring charges against Park and are aware that the Cheong Wa Dae shredders have had since October to destroy the paper trail there.
Park's home has been empty since she moved to Cheong Wa Dae in 2013 and is unlikely to yield any fresh evidence.
In October last year, prosecutors attempted to raid the presidential office with a search warrant, but were prevented by staff who claimed it is a major military and security installation.
In February this year, the independent counsel team again tried to raid Cheong Wa Dae but were reduced to shoving matches with staff who manned the doors to stop them.
Instead, the team set up a makeshift office outside and had boxes of files delivered to them by Cheong Wa Dae staff. How many of the requested files they handed over is not known.
Prosecutors summoned Park to appear for questioning next Tuesday.
- Copyright © Chosunilbo & Chosun.com