Autumn Foliage Season Begins

      September 27, 2016 12:17

      The trees started wearing their flaming autumn colors on Mt. Seorak on Monday, the Korea Meteorological Administration said. That was three days later than last year and a day earlier than on average.

      The KMA announces the start of the autumn foliage season when the leaves turn on 20 percent of the mountain from the top.  It reaches its peak when the leaves have turned on 80 percent, usually two weeks later.

      The leaves usually turn when temperatures drop to 5 degrees Celsius at night.

      The average daily low on Mt. Seorak was 11.6 degrees from Sept. 3 to 16 but then plunged to 6.6 degrees from Sept. 17 to Sunday.

      • Copyright © Chosunilbo & Chosun.com
      Previous Next
      All Headlines Back to Top