Rape Scandal Engulfs Infielder Kang Jung-ho

      July 07, 2016 12:42

      Kang Jung-ho of the Pittsburgh Pirates has closed his social media accounts after a 23-year-old woman accused him of rape in Chicago.

      The woman said she met Kang through the dating app Bumble and went to his hotel room after he played an away match against the Cubs on June 17.

      The woman told police she entered his room at around 10 p.m. and drank an alcoholic beverage Kang offered, according to the Chicago Tribune. She said she soon and "drifted in and out of consciousness" as he sexually assaulted her.

      The woman went to Northwestern Memorial Hospital on June 19 and used a rape kit to collect samples from her body as evidence. She did not report the incident to police until June 30.

      Chicago police said they have no set plans yet to investigate Kang.

      Kang Jung-ho

      Major League Baseball has been taking a firm stance on athletes charged with domestic violence and rape since last year.

      The infielder's annual salary is US$2.5 million and if he is penalized he could lose pay equal to the number of games he misses. If he is barred from 81 games or half the matches this season, he stands to lose half of his annual salary.

      Kang has signed a four-year contract with the Pirates.

      • Copyright © Chosunilbo & Chosun.com
      Previous Next
      All Headlines Back to Top