30% of Senior Citizens in Seoul Still Working

      January 05, 2016 09:47

      Three out of every 10 people over 65 in Seoul are working to earn a living, a survey shows.

      According to the Seoul Institute on Monday, some 340,000 or 27 percent of the 1.26 million seniors in the capital are working.

      Some 65.5 percent of the working seniors are self-employed, earning an average of W1.59 million a month (US$1=W1,190). The rest, 34.5 percent, are wage earners and make an average of W1.23 million a month.

      When asked why they work, 69.5 percent said to make ends meet, while 8.2 percent said to prepare for later years.

      • Copyright © Chosunilbo & Chosun.com
      Previous Next
      All Headlines Back to Top