Korean Suspected in Bombing at Japanese War Shrine

      December 04, 2015 10:57

      A Korean suspect was caught on surveillance cameras before an explosion outside a public restroom at Tokyo's Yasukuni Shrine on Nov. 23, Japanese media reported Thursday.

      The shrine houses the remains of Japan's war dead, including convicted World War II criminals.

      Reports said the suspect was dressed in black and wore a backpack. He was spotted walking around the shrine around 30 minutes before the blast and then returned to his nearby hotel.

      Police analyzed CCTV footage to trace the suspect's movements.

      The suspect left Japan and returned to Korea late last month, according to Japanese police. Debris from the blast, including pieces of a battery made in Korea. The suspect is in his 30s.

      Japanese Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga said police are investigating the incident to determine whether it was an "act of terror or a guerrilla attack." Japan could seek the suspect's extradition under a bilateral treaty.

      • Copyright © Chosunilbo & Chosun.com
      이전 기사 다음 기사
      기사 목록 맨 위로