Park to Watch Huge Military Parade in Beijing

      August 26, 2015 10:31

      President Park Geun-hye will definitely attend a huge military parade in Beijing next month marking the 70th anniversary of the end of World War II, the Chinese government said Tuesday.

      North Korean leader Kim Jong-un, however, will not attend and will probably send Workers Party secretary Choe Ryong-hae on his behalf. The U.S. intends to send an embassy official and Japan is sending nobody.

      Park will be in China from Sept. 2 to 4 to attend the war commemoration. Asked whether Park will attend the parade featuring 12,000 soldiers and 200 aircraft, Chinese Vice Foreign Minister Zhang Ming told a press conference, "All foreign leaders visiting China will take part in important activities, including the Sept. 3 commemorative event."

      Guo Weimin, deputy director at the Information Office of the State Council, China's cabinet, said the commemorative event refers to the military parade.

      Cheong Wa Dae spokesman Min Kyung-wook said Seoul and Beijing were discussing details of Park's itinerary during her visit to China and that a finalized schedule will be announced later.

      There had been a question mark hanging over Park's attendance of an event primarily meant to showcase China's resurgent power. The U.S. has put pressure on her to stay away because it sees its regional hegemony under threat.

      • Copyright © Chosunilbo & Chosun.com
      이전 기사 다음 기사
      기사 목록 맨 위로