Koreans to Be Airlifted Out of Yemen Amid Saudi Airstrikes

      March 27, 2015 09:39

      Saudi Arabia has mobilized 150,000 troops and some 100 fighter jets to rout Iran-backed Houthi fighters that have taken over much of neighboring Yemen.

      The main airport in the capital of Sana'a has been shut down making it impossible for civilian aircraft to land.

      Saudi jets on Thursday bombed an airbase around 20 km north of the part of Sana'a where the Koreans live.

      An embassy official described hearing blasts since early Thursday morning and said bombings continued until daybreak. The Presidential Palace, less than 10 km from the area inhabited by the Koreans, was under attack by rebels.

      "We checked the safety of all of Korean residents after the bombing and asked them to stay indoors," Lim Gap-soo at the embassy said. "If the situation worsens, we'll bring them into the embassy."

      The U.S., U.K., Germany and Japan shut their embassies and evacuated their residents last month after the Houthi rebels staged a coup.

      • Copyright © Chosunilbo & Chosun.com
      이전 기사 다음 기사
      기사 목록 맨 위로