July 18, 2014 09:54
A fire broke out on a subway in Busan late Thursday afternoon, forcing around 400 passengers to evacuate.
Around 100 of the passengers had to climb down on the tracks and seek cover. Five were taken to hospital with minor injuries from falling or smoke inhalation.
The blaze was contained in just around 10 minutes after subway workers spotted smoke on their surveillance monitors and rushed to the scene with fire extinguishers.
But the accident halted rush-hour subway services for more than an hour. Long lines of fire trucks parked in the busy downtown section of the southern port city also backed up road traffic.
Subway services resumed at around 6:55 p.m.
The subway train where the fire broke out was commissioned in 1994. Police believe the fire was caused by faulty wiring connecting the air conditioner with the external power source.
- Copyright © Chosunilbo & Chosun.com