July 04, 2014 12:22
Hong Myung-bo will keep his job as a manager of the Korean national football team.
Huh Jung-moo, vice president of the Korea Football Association, in a press conference on Thursday said, "We feel that it is wrong to make Hong take all the responsibility for Korea's poor performance at the 2014 World Cup in Brazil. We took into consideration that he had just a year to prepare for the World Cup as he took up the position in June last year, and we decided to continue to trust and support him."
Korea finished at the bottom of Group H in the World Cup in Brazil with one draw and two losses, the first time in 16 years that Korea did not register a single win.
Hong came under intense criticism for failing in almost all aspects of managing a team, from selection of the squad, to analysis of opponents, tactics, and formation. He reportedly tendered his resignation to the KFA following the loss to Belgium in the final match of the group stage, but Huh said KFA President Chung Mong-gyu and other executives talked him out of it.
Hong signed a two-year contract with the KFA that runs out in June 2015. The most important competition until then is the Asian Cup in Australia in January.
Hong will have an uphill struggle redeeming himself and has little time left to prepare for the competition.
"We expect Hong to build on the failures in Brazil and lead the national team well in the Asian Cup," Huh said.
- Copyright © Chosunilbo & Chosun.com