Embassies in Seoul Unfazed by N.Korean Warning

      April 10, 2013 11:48

      North Korea's warning on Tuesday for foreigners in South Korea to devise exit plans fell on deaf ears among foreign embassies here.

      The U.S. Embassy said it is closely monitoring the situation following the North's notification to some foreign diplomats in Pyongyang last week that it would launch missiles toward the Pacific Ocean on Wednesday, but added that it had no plans to evacuate diplomats or U.S. citizens.

      The Chinese and Japanese embassies also said they have no particular plans in response to the latest North Korean threat. The Swedish Embassy in Seoul echoed the comments.

      According to the Justice Ministry, there were 1.48 million foreigners living in South Korea at the end of last month.

      The U.S. Forces Korea conduct exercises twice a year to practice evacuating the families of American soldiers and other U.S. citizens in cases an emergency, but no steps are being taken in response to the latest threat.

      Foreign journalists based here were also unfazed by Pyongyang's saber rattling. Katsumi Sawada, who has been the Seoul correspondent for Japan's Mainichi Shimbun for the past seven years, said, "This has happened many times before and I wonder how many foreign journalists would actually leave due to North Korea's threats."

      • Copyright © Chosunilbo & Chosun.com
      이전 기사 다음 기사
      기사 목록 맨 위로