Samsung, LG Lead TV Market in U.S.

      March 25, 2013 10:04

      Korean television manufacturers are continuing to perform well in the United States, the world’s largest market for premium TVs.

      According to market researcher NPD, Samsung Electronics was No. 1 in terms of sales with a 27.9 percent share of the flat-panel TV market in the first two months of the year. American brand Vizio took second place with 15.4 percent, and LG Electronics came in third at 12.2 percent. Japanese rivals Sharp and Panasonic came next with 7.7 percent and 5 percent, respectively.

      In total, Samsung and LG took 40.1 percent of the market share in the flat-panel TV market, or one in four models purchased in the U.S. As of the end of last year, Korean manufacturers also stood at about 40 percent market share and have been particularly successful with high-end models.

      In the 3D TV segment, Samsung dominated with 44.1 percent in the first two months of this year, trailing LG with 22 percent. Their combined market share stands at 66.1 percent.

      Samsung also came out on top in terms of smart TVs with a 34.5 percent market share. Vizio ranked second with 26.4 percent, followed by Sharp (14.6 percent), Panasonic (9.6 percent) and LG (9.1 percent).

      In LCD TVs measuring 60 inches or larger, traditional market leader Sharp held onto the top spot, but its market share plunged from 49.3 percent last year to 37 percent. Next came Vizio and Samsung with 27.4 percent and 27.2 percent, respectively.

      • Copyright © Chosunilbo &
      이전 기사 다음 기사
      기사 목록 맨 위로