Japan Deploys Missile Interceptors Ahead of N.Korean Rocket Launch

Japan is deploying its missile defense system in anticipation of North Korea's planned rocket launch, which could occur as early as Monday.

Japanese television showed three Aegis destroyers armed with SM-3 missile interceptors reportedly headed for the East China Sea and the Sea of Japan on Thursday.

Patriot missile interceptors later arrived at Okinawa island, which lies under the missile's projected flight path. Patriot missiles were also rolled into the field behind the defense ministry in Tokyo.

Japan has threatened to shoot down the North Korean missile if it goes off course. It is the same stance the government took last year before Pyongyang's failed rocket launch.

Michael Cucek, a research associate at the MIT Center for International Studies in Tokyo says many Japanese are keeping an eye on the developments.

"If you watch television, you get this sense that the people, particularly in Okinawa Prefecture, are concerned because the path of the missile will come close to them," he said. "Otherwise, it's a nice sunny day here in Tokyo, [and] people aren't concerned about it."

Pyongyang says it plans to launch the three-stage rocket between Dec. 10 and 22. It says the launch is aimed at placing a satellite into orbit.

Its neighbors and much of the rest of the world have warned against the launch, saying it is a disguised missile test banned under UN sanctions.

Lieutenant Salvatore Angelella, commander of U.S. forces in Japan, said Thursday that U.S. troops are are closely monitoring the situation, which he called "very dangerous."

"This is against the UN Security Council resolutions and we are monitoring the situation closely and working with the [Japanese] Self-Defense Force and the Ministry of Defense," he said.

On Wednesday, the U.S., Japanese and South Korean diplomats meeting in Washington agreed to take any North Korean launch to the UN Security Council.

The Security Council condemned a failed North Korean launch in April, during which the rocket disintegrated shortly after take-off.

Brad Glosserman of the Hawaii-based Pacific Forum says North Korean leader Kim Jong-un is conducting another launch in an attempt to bolster his political credentials. But he says the moves comes with some risk for the new leader.

"You'd be hard-pressed to have a more distinguished failure. And in fact, two failures in one year would be a pretty poor start to this new administration," he explained. "You would think that given their [past] failures that he's aware that the stakes have been raised and that he needs a successful launch."

Attempted North Korean rocket launches ended in failure in both 2006 and 2009, although North Korea insisted on their success.

Despite international pressure, North Korea is apparently going ahead with preparations for the latest launch. It is reportedly in the final stages of preparing the Tongchang-ri launch site in the northwest of the country.

VOA News / Dec. 07, 2012 07:33 KST