Border Pavilion Off-Limits After N.Korean Threat

      October 22, 2012 09:18

      Visitors will be barred from Imjingak, a pavilion overlooking the heavily armed inter-Korean border, following Pyongyang's threat to attack the area if Seoul allows activists to send propaganda leaflets to the North. The government here also ordered the evacuation of around 820 people living in villages near the border.

      Activists vowed to push ahead with their plan to float 200,000 anti-communist leaflets to the North on Monday morning attached to helium balloons. Following the North Korean threat on Friday, the Joint Chiefs of Staff on Sunday pledged to maintain the highest alert level to deal with any provocation by North Korea.

      A military source here said no suspicious movements by the North Korean military have been detected so far.

      Meanwhile, a spokesman for the North's National Defense Commission on Saturday again denounced the Northern Limit Line, a de facto maritime border drawn by the U.S.-led United Nations Command at the end of the 1950-53 Korean War. The spokesman said the only maritime border in the West Sea is the one drawn by Pyongyang, which runs farther south.

      • Copyright © Chosunilbo & Chosun.com
      Previous Next
      All Headlines Back to Top