Korea has reported its first case of West Nile virus, which is prevalent in Africa and the U.S.
The Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on Wednesday announced that an unnamed patient who contracted the West Nile virus while staying in Africa was reported on Sept. 26. The Korea National Institute of Health confirmed the case.
The patient had stayed in Guinea in the West Nile region since January this year and developed symptoms after being bitten by a mosquito in June. Following treatment at a local hospital, the patient returned to Korea at the end of June and is being treated here.
West Nile virus is an infectious disease of the central nervous system spread by mosquitoes. No symptoms appear in 80 percent of cases, but the remaining 20 percent suffer for several days from fever, headache, dizziness, and skin rash.
In most cases, people will recover in three to six days, but in severe cases patients can die.