North Korea's official news agency says that 48 people were killed and many are still missing after typhoon Bolaven hit North Korea's western coast last week.
The Korean Central News Agency also reported on Monday that some 50 people were injured in the powerful storm.
The report says that the typhoon has left more than 21,000 people without shelter and that it has destroyed more than 50,000 hectares of crops. It says the typhoon damaged or destroyed about 880 industrial enterprises and public buildings, including dozens of schools and clinics.
The typhoon reached North Korean coastal areas last Tuesday and Wednesday after passing over Japan and parts of China. Video images show uprooted trees, damaged roofs and broken power transmission lines.
Earlier this year, some parts of North Korea were flooded after heavy rains in July and the first half of August. Other regions have suffered droughts.
The chronically impoverished country is receiving post-disaster aid from the United Nations and the Red Cross. The humanitarian organizations are supplying drinking water, foodstuffs, medicines and other supplies to the disaster zones to help prevent outbreaks of intestinal diseases.