Military Chief Designate Warns N.Korea Over Provocations

  • Arirang News

    October 26, 2011 13:16

    South Korea's nominee for chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Jung Seung-jo, pledged strong retaliation against any North Korean provocations. The army general said in a confirmation hearing at the National Assembly on Tuesday that if any enemy attacks the South, he would make sure they pay a heavy price.

    Jung said if he had been the chairman of JCS during North Korea's artillery attack on Yeonpyeong Island last year, he would have advised the president to use fighter planes in response.

    The general added the right to self-defense should apply not just to the location where the attack started but also against the regime that orders such provocations.

    Jung, a former deputy commander of the South Korea-U.S. Combined Forces Command, is to replace the outgoing Gen. Han Min-koo in a reshuffle of top military officials.  

    • Copyright © Chosunilbo & Chosun.com
    이전 기사 다음 기사
    기사 목록 맨 위로