N.Korea Ends Mt. Kumgang Agreement with Hyundai Asan

      April 11, 2011 12:19

      North Korea has unilaterally ended a long-standing agreement that gave South Korea's Hyundai Asan the sole rights to operate package tours to Mt. Kumgang. The tours have long been suspended, but Hyundai Asan has put a significant amount of money into accommodation and other infrastructure in the scenic resort.

      In a statement on Friday night, the North's Asia-Pacific Peace Committee said, "We're invalidating the clause on the exclusive right given to Hyundai in the agreement on Mt. Kumgang tourism that we concluded with the company." It said Hyundai Asan may continue to operate tours from the South Korean side, but the committee "will take care of the tours arranged through the North Korean side."

      A Hyundai Asan spokesman said the following day North Korea should withdraw the decision "since no terms of the agreement can be canceled or invalidated unilaterally by either side."

      ◆ Unilateral Decision

      The two sides signed an agreement in October 1998 giving Hyundai Asan, a subsidiary of the Hyundai Corporation not to be confused with Hyundai Motor Group, the exclusive right to operate the tours.

      In 2002, the regime granted Hyundai Asan the right to use of land in the Mt. Kumgang area until 2052, but it confiscated the property after South Korea suspended the tours following the shooting death of a tourist in July 2008.

      According to Hyundai Asan, North Korean officials summoned staff to Mt. Kumgang on March 15 and 30 and told them the North would now promote tours on its own. On March 30, the North Korean also proffered a written document to a Hyundai Asan staffer, who refused to accept it saying it contravenes the original agreement.

      The decision to cancel the deal nonetheless shows how desperate the North is to earn hard currency, since the apparent aim is to promote tours for Chinese visitors instead or indirectly pressure the South Korean government into resuming the tours.

      Seoul says it will not resume the tours until the North allows an investigation of the shooting, gives firm safety guarantees, and promises to prevent similar incidents. There have been talks about their resumption, but the North's sinking of the Navy corvette Cheonan in March last year and shelling of Yeonpyeong Island in November effectively strangled them at birth.

      ◆ Chinese Tourists

      It is unlikely that the North can plug the gap with revenues from Chinese tourists. Hyundai Asan says about 1.96 million tourists visited Mt. Kumgang over the past 10-odd years, but a mere 12,000 came from countries other than South Korea.

      It remains to be seen whether the North will use the Hyundai-owned facilities to accommodate Chinese visitors.

      Hyundai Asan has spent a total of W754.1 billion (US$1=W1,084) on developing nearby land and building facilities such as a power plant and a hotel. Other South Korean agencies and companies, including the Korea Tourism Organization and the National Agricultural Cooperative Federation, invested W133 billion. After tours were suspended, Hyundai Asan left 16 staffers behind at Mt. Kumgang to look after its properties.

      • Copyright © Chosunilbo & Chosun.com
      이전 기사 다음 기사
      기사 목록 맨 위로