December 13, 2010 08:51
South Korea says it was ready to launch an air strike if North Korea had fired a third artillery wave against Yeonpyeong Island last month. "A decision was made to mobilize fighter jets and strike targets if North Korea conducted a third artillery shelling," a high-ranking Cheong Wa Dae official told reporters.
"At that time, a decision had been reached in the underground command bunker at Cheong Wa Dae to respond with fighter jets in the event of a third attack. Fighter planes, including F-15K jets, were airborne following the second wave."
The official said, "Even at the time of the first and second waves of the attack, President Lee Myung-bak asked several times, 'Is there anything we can do with our fighter jets?'" But the Joint Chiefs of Staff reported they would have to be prepared for massive casualties in case the conflict escalates, "so we could not reach a decision."
- Copyright © Chosunilbo & Chosun.com