China Hints at Unhappiness Over S.Korea-Japan-U.S. Talks

      December 08, 2010 09:58

      China has hinted it is unhappy about a statement by the South Korean, U.S. and Japanese foreign ministers in Washington on Monday condemning North Korea's Nov. 23 artillery attack on Yeonpyeong Island and uranium enrichment program and urging China to take on a larger role in constraining Pyongyang.

      Asked about China's position about the trilateral ministers' meeting on Tuesday, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Jiang Yu said, "All Northeast Asian nations have responsibility for maintaining peace in this region."

      She was apparently referring to China's call for the resumption of six-party talks and sounded irked that China was left out.

      "Dialogue and cooperation are the only solutions to peace and stability on the Korean Peninsula," she said. "We hope that countries concerned will reconsider China's suggestion for an emergency meeting of chief negotiators of the six-party nuclear talks."

      Earlier, the official People's Radio also criticized the foreign ministers' meeting in a morning program. "Joint efforts of countries concerned, instead of a trilateral backroom meeting, are necessary for the denuclearization, peace and stability of the Korean Peninsula."

      Meanwhile, the Global Times, a sister newspaper of the official People's Daily, criticized South Korea for staging massive live-fire drills in the West Sea on Monday, saying it is playing "a touch-and-go adventure game."

      In a headline story Tuesday, the paper claimed the drills are staged in locations including "islands disputed by both Koreas." It warned the chances of North Korea launching a counterattack in response to the South's live-fire drills is “far more than 1 percent," and so is the danger of Northeast Asia being cast into confusion. It added where a war threat is concerned, "a 1 percent chance is not very different from a 99 percent chance."

      The daily was scathing about both Koreas, saying the shape of the Korean Peninsula is reminiscent "of a long tongue stuck out at the globe," suggesting the world is aghast at escalating tensions between them.

      The daily also condemned the foreign ministers' meeting, saying that it is naive to expect noticeable results from the threats of countries "that have never succeeded in diplomatic threats to the North."

      • Copyright © Chosunilbo & Chosun.com
      이전 기사 다음 기사
      기사 목록 맨 위로