January 21, 2005 19:07
Top stars spoke out Friday about the explosive Internet document dubbed the “entertainment X-file” that has rocked the entertainment world.
At an entertainment union press conference with actress Kim Min-sun, actor Ahn Jae-wook said, “We know that unfounded rumors can ruin a career, and we feel deeply sorry that innocent entertainers who did nothing wrong have to suffer."
"Invasion of privacy through the Internet has become a serious problem, and this time the situation is more severe because it was not one or two people's privacy but that of a whole group of entertainers." The file cites unsubstantiated rumors about the private lives of the country’s 99 top stars.
"All entertainers including those not named on the list are grieving. And whether the reviews were good or bad seems of less importance at this point," he added. "The last couple of days have been hard on me and my colleagues who are currently working of TV sets," Ahn said. "I hope you will understand the despair a lot of entertainers are going through right now."
Kim Min-sun said, "I am worried about how people will think of me now that this document has been revealed."
Meanwhile actor Kwon Sang-woo in an interview on the web said, "The people who produced this list must announce that the document was totally unfounded and false, and offer a public apology." He added he was also seeking a formal and private apology from the advertising agency and the market research firm behind the file.
Cheil Communications, the advertising company that commissioned the document, Friday published an apology in newspapers and on the Internet saying the file was compiled with “good intentions”. "This was done with the good intention of minimizing risk for advertisers. Although the document had been produced by another company, we feel deeply responsible for this situation and must tell you that most of the contents of the file were unconfirmed rumors."
- Copyright © Chosunilbo & Chosun.com