No More Delays for Korea-U.S. Drills After Paralympics

By Pak Soo-chan | February 21, 2018 13:08

The joint annual South Korea-U.S. drills are expected to resume right after the Winter Paralympics in Pyeongchang.

Defense Minister Song Young-moo told the National Assembly's defense committee on Tuesday the two countries' defense chiefs "will make an announcement before April, considering that the Paralympics will close on March 18."

Song explained why he has kept conspicuously silent on the drills so far. "I agreed with U.S. Defense Secretary James Mattis to neither confirm nor deny until the Paralympics close," he said.

Unification Minister Cho Myoung-gyon also told the National Assembly, "I understand that the two countries are discussing resumption of the joint drills."

Cheong Wa Dae has kept quiet on the matter since January, when it agreed with Washington not to stage the joint exercises during the Olympics. This sparked some speculation that the Moon Jae-in administration wanted to postpone them indefinitely amid a North Korean charm offensive.
Read this article in Korean

Most Read


맨 위로